Staff Software Engineer, 2016-present
GitHub is where the world builds software. In my five years as an engineer at GitHub, I helped launch Electron, internationalized electronjs.org, added Typescript support to Electron, launched docs.github.com, internationalized docs.github.com, open-sourced docs.github.com, and co-created the OpenAPI description for GitHub's REST API.
Product Designer, Open Source Maintainer, 2012-2014
Heroku is a platform that simplifies the process of deploying, running, and scaling web applications. I wore many hats at Heroku, including designer, engineer, product manager, and open-source advocate. I designed and implemented a redesign of addons.heroku.com, Heroku's marketplace for cloud infrastructure providers, as well as other web properties like blog.heroku.com and help.heroku.com. In my last year with the company, I spent most of my time improving the Node.js development experience on Heroku by rewriting the build process, creating the semver.io microservice for resolving Node versions, writing documentation and blog posts, answering support tickets, and representing the company by speaking at conferences and mentoring at meetups.
Designer, Developer, 2011-2012
Wordnik was a startup with the ambitious goal of becoming the world's largest English dictionary. While at Wordnik, I designed, built, and maintained the high-traffic wordnik.com Ruby on Rails web application. I also co-created Swagger (now OpenAPI), a specification and set of open-source tooling that has become the de facto standard for documenting and consuming HTTP web services.
Designer, Developer, 2009-2011
ELC Technologies was a consultancy providing services to Fortune 500 companies in the early days of Ruby on Rails. At ELC, I was introduced to Unix, macOS, Ruby, and Amazon Web Services. I led the development and maintenance of enterprise-level websites, embracing popular practices of agile web development like pair programming, scrum management and iterative development cycles.
Interactive Director, 2006
Ideum is a small new media outfit working for museums, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations and socially responsible companies. As Interactive Director, I oversaw the production of a variety of educational and humanitarian projects, and worked extensively with Flickr and Google mashups, building applications in PHP and Python.
Designer, Developer, 2002-2006
Rome & Gold Creative was a small branding agency and architectural design studio. I worked as a web designer and junior print designer, building content management systems and shopping carts using PHP and MySQL.
English Teacher, 2001-2002
In parternship with the French department at the University of New Mexico, I joined a teaching program and moved to L'Isle sur la Sorgue, Provence, France to teach American English language and culture at Lycée Polyvalent Alphonse Benoit.
Guru Factotum, 2000-2001
Neogenesis was a documentary film production house. I worked primarily on post-video editing using Discreet Combustion and Macromedia After Effects, developed interactive CD-ROMs and Flash websites, and built and maintained a Windows network optimized for farm rendering.
Web Designer, 1998-2000
Archetypal 3D was a small group of architectural designers. As a production assistant, I designed websites, worked on IPIX 360-degree photography, and maintained a network of workstations and rendering machines.
- Bridging Systems and Subcultures: A Swagger Origin Story
- Building thriving open source communities with GitHub
- How I Write Node Modules
- Learning LevelDB
- Electron: keeping an ion it
- Electron: Desktop Apps with Web Languages
- Electron and Cross-Platform Desktop Apps
- NodeUp, Episode 87
- Crowdinsourcing Heroku's Node Buildpack
- How we open sourced docs.github.com (2020)
- Easier AutoUpdating for Open-Source Apps (2018)
- Functional programming with lodash.chain (2017)
- Electron's New Internationalized Website (2017)
- Announcing TypeScript support in Electron (2017)
- Electron Simple Samples (2017)
- Electron Userland (2016)
- Electron's API Docs as Structured Data (2016)
- npm install electron (2016)
- The Sweet Sensation of Automation
- CSS from the future (2016)
- What's new in Electron 0.37 (2016)
- nicely presented markup (2015)
- npm has a new website (2014)
- The Most Popular npm Packages on Heroku (2014)
- 10 Habits of a Happy Node Hacker (2014)
- Announcing a new and improved Node.js Buildpack (2014)
- Introducing Heroku's Europe Region (2013)
- Presenting the New Heroku Add-ons Site (2012)